Wednesday 21 January 2015

5 Things...


Honestly, I'm bored. Daughter is occupying the downstairs TV with her show, Henry Danger. Hubby is watching the Maple Leafs lose upstairs. Leaves me with the computer and my thoughts. Which brings me to my next blog. I'm aware 80% of my audience doesn't know me at all. Then there are the old friends on facebook, or people who work or have worked with me. But there are probably only 4 people on earth who know these 5 things about me.

1. When I'm at home, I watch all movies with English subtitles.

I really don't know why. For some reason, I can't seem to ever follow a movie 100% without being able to read along with the dialogue. I'm always annoying in theatres and ask questions "What did he say?" "What's going on?" Then I get frustrated and just miss big chunks of the movie. I only fully grasp a movie when I watch it with subtitles and if it's not an option, I usually pick something else.

2. Every day when I cook dinner, I eat chips.

I literally eat a bag of chips every day. Doritos, dill pickle, ring-o-los (my favourite!) Hickory sticks...you name it. While prepping dinner, I'm nibbling. Cooking dinner, then it's full handfuls of chips. If I don't finish the bag by the time dinner is ready, then I eat them after. It's the one habit I have yet to quit cold turkey.

3. I am horrible at small talk.

Which is funny because I work in customer service, and I used to be a waitress, so you'd think I have the gift of gab. WRONG. This is why it takes me SO long to meet new people. On average I'd say it takes me at least 6 months to a year to get to know someone. It's not that I don't care, I just don't know what to say most of the time. My mind goes blank and then I go silent and in walks a very uncomfortable silence and that's usually my cue to walk in the other direction.

4. My dad never had a funeral.

My dad died of cancer when I was 20 and we didn't have a funeral for him. My mom said "your dad never wanted a funeral." Which is funny because I remember my dad saying to me once, "funerals are for the people left to grieve. The person who died doesn't care, their dead!" We didn't have people over, we didn't have support or warm stories and memories shared with family and friends. He is not buried anywhere. His ashes are with my mom somewhere secret. No grieving, no place to visit. It's a very odd and unhealthy experience. I don't recommend doing it this way...

5. I am a great swimmer, but I am terrified of the water.

I've been told that I fell into the swimming pool in our backyard when I was 2. My brother got me out. I don't remember the experience but I have never liked being in water. My parents put me in special classes for kids afraid of water so I could learn to swim. I hated showers, baths, getting water in my face. I had my hair washed in the sink until I was about 6. I wasn't in water for 15 years until recently I took a chance and got into the lake at our cottage. Don't get me wrong, I'm a great swimmer. I can tread water forever and I can float without moving a muscle, but I hate, hate, HATE the feeling of being in the water. Always thinking something is going to grab my feet and pull me under water. *shudders* Oh and of course, my daughter is a fish. She never comes out of the water. HA!

As I'm listing these I'm thinking of so many more things about me that hardly anyone knows. Weird? Ya probably, but I guess it's what makes me, me. Can you name a few things people wouldn't know about you unless they really knew you??

2 comments:

  1. Im scared of the dark if I need to leave need my room at night i turn on all the lights and when im done I literally run back to my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a male model and can never turn left, is that weird?

      Delete